Japan booked a breakup, feeling overwhelmed and considering cancelling. What would you do?

Title: Navigating a Big Trip After a Breakup and Financial Strain: What Would You Do?

Edit: Thank you all for the overwhelming and thoughtful responses. I posted this late last night before bed, slept, and returned to a flood of advice. I’m humbled by the time everyone took to share their experiences and grateful for the perspectives offered. While I’ve found some grounding in the feedback, the day-to-day pressures of work, study, and rebuilding finances are still very real. Reading your stories helped me see that opportunities and experiences can be rare, and sometimes pushing through is worth it. In the end, I’ve decided to go.

Context and current dilemma
I’m a 28-year-old woman with a 2.5-week trip to Japan booked for December 1. The trip was originally planned with my ex-partner, and since our breakup, excitement has waned, even though Japan has long been a dream destination.Life has changed significantly in the last few months: I’ve faced unexpected expenses from a car repair and the costs of moving out of a shared home, followed by the challenge of getting back on my feet financially. While I’m in a better place now, this trip would deplete most of my savings.

Work and study commitments add to the complexity. I work full-time in an office role and am also a university student. Though the job isn’t highly paid, I’ve recently stepped into a role with more responsibility, making the current period especially busy and demanding. The trip wouldn’t be a lavish splurge, nor would I need to nickel-and-dime every expense while I’m away; the concern is returning home with little to no savings after everything that has happened.

Timeline and decision pressure
University finishes mid-November, with my flight scheduled shortly thereafter. Between heavier work responsibilities, exams, the breakup, and the logistics of moving, I’m unquestionably exhausted. November is already a hectic month, and I’m uncertain whether I genuinely don’t want to go or simply feel overwhelmed by the confluence of stressors.

Practical considerations
– Refund status: The flights are non-refundable, but I could cancel the booked accommodations.
– Financial risk: A trip of this scale would likely drain most of my savings.
– Emotional readiness: The breakup has shifted my emotional landscape, and I’m weighing whether the experience would be restorative or overwhelming.

Seeking outside perspectives
Has anyone undertaken a significant international trip after a breakup or during a period of financial strain? Did you regret it, or did you feel that pushing through was the right choice? I’d value insights from people who have faced similar crossroads and would appreciate any advice on balancing risk, opportunity, and personal well-being.

Closing thought
I’m torn between two paths: embracing the trip to create new memories and potentially reignite a sense of independence, or postponing travel to rebuild savings and return when I’m in a more stable headspace. Any guidance or personal experiences would be deeply appreciated as I navigate this decision.